Sunday, November 20, 2011

The basement

Lily and I went down to the basement Wednesday to get something out of the freezer and I thought, "man that carpet looks dark." And then "squish" as I stepped on it. AHHHH! 3 inches of water on the sump pump side and had backed up through 3/4 of the basement.
Thankfully, Mom came over to watch the girls and Dad came up that evening to help me. We moved things around, steam cleaned the carpet to pull the water out and got fans and the furnace going to move air around. I've had the fans going non stop since then and I think the carpet may get dry enough to be ok. One part of the carpet never got soaked so everything is piled up there until the rest dries enough to move it back.
Our friend Chad was nice enough to come over and replace our sump pump for us. (Something had caused the float or the switch to stick and not kick on) All in all, it could have been SO much worse! I'm thankful I had most of the stuff on the wetter side in plastic totes and neither of the couches down there got wet except for the legs. Plus, I was home. It would have been awful for this to have happened while we were out of town! A huge thanks to mom, dad & Chad for helping me out!

No comments: